Thursday, May 7, 2009

Review: The Soloist

The Soloist (2009)
starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jamie Foxx, Catherine Keener

dir. Joe Wright


I watched this movie last week and had totally forgotten that I saw it. I just remembered this afternoon and then spent the next half hour trying to remember what happens in it.

Downey is good, but that isn't saying much. The guy is a pro and I can't think of the last time he delivered a bad performance. Jamie Foxx was way too mannered and I found him more irritating than anything else.

The script was as blah as scripts can get if you can't tell from the way my mind remembers it so vividly. The film commits the biggest crime that any film can commit, it leaves no emotional residue. I didn't walk out hating it, I didn't walk out liking or loving it. I just walked out.

No wait! I do remember one thing that I found laughable. At one pint we get to see what Foxx sees when he hears music. It's flashes and pools of color that look like a popular screen saver from 1997. Just stupid.

I've got nothing left to say, it left that much of an imprint on me.

5 out of 10 (I think)

No comments: