Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review: The Taking Of Pelham 123

The Taking Of Pelham 123 (2009)
starring: Denzel Washington, John Travolta, John Turturro, James Gandolfini, Luis Guzman

dir. Tony Scott


I'm a huge fan of the original film from 1974. I thought Walter Matthau as the sarcastic transit cop hero of the movie was inspired and Robert Shaw's cold blooded hijacker priceless. So when I first saw the cast for this remake I almost had to cause self harm. In what universe did John Travolta come anywhere close to Shaw? Sure Denzel Washington is a great actor, but he doesn't have the thing that made Matthau. No way was this going to be any good.

I finally decided after mocking the previews, posters, the career of Tony Scott and just the fact that remakes are sketchy at best, I decided to change my point of view. Call it a moment of clarity. I have come to the conclusion that remakes need to be looked at like cover bands. How is the material treated? Is it trying to be like the original or a springboard for something new? Can it stand on its own two feet or collapse under its own pretensions. This is how I've decided to look at remakes since, no matter how hard I want them to go away, remakes are here to stay.

So all that being said, this remake is pretty passable. It's failings come from director Tony Scott whose evolution into ADD filmmaking has become an albatross he can't, or wont, shake. Due to the fact that the flm s mostly rooted in a subway tunnel, it does restrict Scott from going bat shit crazy with the visuals, but you can tell he's trying to break out at every possible moment. His style, which seems to have no rhyme or reason ends up killing any sort of tension. It makes one long for the days of Crimson Tide (1995) and True Romance (1993).

That being said, screenwriter Brian Helgeland brings some fun twists to the story and refers back to the original novel more than the 1974 version. Sure there is some hokey dialog, but Washington and Travolta pull it off. They may not be the originals, but they bring uniquely flawed characters to life in a very watchable summer movie. Gandolfini is great as the Mayor who's role was expanded from the original and provides some of the highlights of the movie.

The one thing I do miss and wish there was more of was the feeling of the city. The original had a sense of New York and it felt like a character, this version could have been in Pittsburgh and you'd never know. Location was not a priority for Scott even tough the script wishes it was.

I may sound as if I'm being harsh on the film, which is fine because it's far from great, but I have to say it never felt like a waste of time. I won't be waiting feverishly for a Blu-ray, but if I see it on cable in the future, I'll stop and give it a watch before seeing if something better is on.

7.8 out of 10

No comments: